2017 Start-Up Stadium Application
THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION IS 11:59 PM EST ON FRIDAY APRIL 7, 2017. FINALISTS WILL BE NOTIFIED IN LATE APRIL 2017.
The Start-Up Stadium event was designed to provide start-up companies with the opportunity to engage key members of the investment community, venture philanthropy groups, and BIO attendees. The goal of the Start-Up Stadium event is to increase engagement with investors, state and regional affiliates, early-stage companies at the beginning of their life-cycle and the burgeoning ecosystem in which they play.
During the BIO International Convention, investor judges attend live presentations and engage in a Q&A providing feedback to finalists. Finalists will participate in one of five sessions in 2-3 days among 40 companies. You present a 5-7 minute pitch, followed by written and oral feedback from investor judges. We encourage participants to request and schedule BIO One-on-One Partnering meetings before you arrive to San Diego (make sure to keep your schedule up to date!)
After the event, BIO collects feedback from start-ups and judges and analyzes the increased engagement between investors and early-stage communities. In late July, BIO follows up with finalists for product and investment status.
Participating in the BIO Start-Up Stadium provides a great opportunity to be featured in an innovative space that drives start-ups and investors to engage and explore opportunities for cutting-edge achievements. Here's how to participate:
Review the criteria and submit an application. Once accepted, you will be charged a $699 fee per start-up which includes access to BIO One-on-One Partnering ($3,000+ value). The BIO Programs team will reach out to coordinate your time slot.
Senior Team Members (Last Name, First Name; New Line for Each Person)
Contact Phone Number
State (Postal Code; ex: Michigan is MI)
Name of Start-Up Company
Year of Launch
Number of Employees
How Did You Hear About the Event?
***EVENT DAY PRESENTATION - ATTACH POWERPOINT SLIDE DECK***
Apart from the basic information collected above in the application, please provide your potential START-UP STADIUM EVENT DAY pitch presentation (similar to a business pitch). Your presentation should cover the below reference sections (utilizing them as a guide), in 20 slides or fewer, but you DO NOT have to answer each question individually.
Attach a File
1. What does the company do? Focus? Purpose?
2. What is unique about the company?
3. What big problem does it solve?
4. How big is the market opportunity?
5. What are the roles of the senior management team?
1. What is the actual addressable market? Secondary market?
2. What is the problem with the current status quo? Is the timing right?
3. What percentage of the market do you plan to get over what period of time?
4. Why does your company have high growth potential?
5. What key additions are needed in the short term?
PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
1. Where did the technology originate?
2. Why do consumers care about your product or technology?
3. What are the major product milestones? Current stage of development?
4. What is the mechanism-of-action?
5. What are the key differentiated features of your product or service?
6. What key intellectual property does the company have?
1. What are the company's five year projections?
2. What are the key assumptions underlying your projections?
3. How much equity/debt has the company raised; what is the cap structure?
4. When will the company get to profitability?
5. What are the key metrics that the management team focuses on?
1. What is your pricing model?
2. How do/will you compete with respect to price and performance?
3. What partnerships are needed in order to be successful?
4. Are there any proofs of reimbursement for your product or technology?
1. Who are the company's competitors? Current or future.
2. What gives your company a competitive advantage?
3. What advantages does your competition have over you?
4. What are the barriers to entry?
GROWTH AND RISKS
1. What early traction has the company achieved?
2. What are the reasons for the early traction and how can it be accelerated?
3. What are the principal risks to the company?
4. Are there any product liability risks?
1. What is your presumed exit? IPO? Acquisition?
***REQUIREMENTS FOR 2017 APPLICANTS***
1. Raised less than $10 million since inception
2. Fewer than 20 full-time employees
3. Previous business pitch or competition experience
4. Must have no experience in BIO One-on-One Partnering
Do Not Fill This Out